Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring Break Casual

Spring Break 2011 is almost over...we've certainly been enjoying it while it's lasted! We've called it our "Stay-cation" since we didn't actually travel anywhere (besides visiting my parents the past two days). I've definitely been dressing pretty comfy casual the past few days since we've just been hanging out in the driveway riding scooters and watching movies. Here's a few examples...

Thursday:



Details:
-Tank-Old Navy
-Jackie Cardigan-J Crew
-Skinny Jeans-American Eagle
-City Flats-Gap
-Lucky Necklace-Macy's
-Earrings-J Crew Factory
-Ring-American Eagle

Wednesday:



Details:
-Tank-Nordstrom
-Dolman Sleeve Cardigan-Gap Outlet
-Skinny Cargos-Old Navy
-City Flats-Gap
-Lucky Necklace-Macy's
-Earrings-J Crew Factory
-Ring-American Eagle

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE getting all dressed up...but sometimes it's just nice to throw on a pair of flats and my mom uniform (tank, cardigan and skinny pants) and call it good. Spring break is the perfect time for it!

So guess what I did today...I went to Joann Fabric store and picked out some fabric and a pattern to learn how to make a skirt! I've actually made a skirt before but I didn't use a pattern. I just followed some some written directions I found online. It actually turned out pretty cute to be honest...I'll have to wear it one of these days (I've only ever worn it once--not sure why). Anyhow, I have always had the desire to learn more about how to sew basic things. I don't have the desire to go sewing my whole wardrobe or anything, but it would be fun to know how to sew basic things like a skirt. Here's the pattern I chose:



I bought some red fabric to make the skirt shown on the far left and some mustard yellow colored fabric to make the skirt on the far right with the tie (I'll obviously have to add some length to make them both knee-length) My mom is going to help me figure out how to sew them both...it'll be an adventure, I'm sure! Hopefully I don't mess them up too bad and they'll both be wearable by the time I'm done.

What are you up to this weekend? Anything fun? Hubby and I have a date night planned with friends...I always look forward to date nights! Time to get out of the mom uniform and go digging in my closet for something cute to wear!

Hope you have a great Friday...happy start to the weekend!!!

11 comments:

  1. I'll probably just be working and sleeping this weekend, blah. I'm still trying to figure out how to be stylish while casual, and you are showing how it's done! I like both outfits but particularly the first. Good luck with your venture into sewing -- I keep meaning to ask my mom to teach me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm jealous of your skirt making. I wish I had talent to do that (well, I don't have the patience either). Loving your casual outfits. Even casual, you look super cute.

    Nothing up this weekend for us. I've got a date with the kids to see Wimpy Kid tomorrow though. woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some casual days!
    Looking forward to seeing your skirt. Good for you girl - I can hardly sew on a button :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun on date night, those are the best!
    Good luck also with the sewing. I'm sure you'll do great! Make sure to post lots of pics! I have a sewing machine that I pretend I'm going to use someday, but it doesn't get used much beyond hemming jeans!
    We might be heading to San Diego for the day tomorrow for some shopping...not sure yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're weeks just flew by didn't they? I love your cute, casual looks. Enjoy your date night, they're the best!! And wow, I admire you for sewing your owns skirs. Can't wait to see the end results!! Cute pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I wish I knew how to sew, I hope your skirt turns out perfect! I love your cute casual looks - that striped Nordy's tank is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun! I think it would be really cool to make my own clothes, but sadly I'm not that crafty lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think of you when I go to Old Navy b/c you find great stuff there! I got some cute shirts there this week with my bday money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that ruffle top! Good luck with the skirt. :) Just wanted to let you know that I stopped by my anthro today and found some great options for those of us who are looking for things to our knees. Fulani patchwork skirt is a midi skirt that is long enough not to blow up in the wind but not a maxi length. It is bright and so cute- but runs small. I am normally a 0 and would size up to 2 for sure. It's high waisted but I think would be adorable with a fitted tee tucked in. Also, the go anywhere skirt is so stinkin' comfy and I loved the detail. The reviews say it's sheer-- but I didn't notice that in the dressing room. Finally, the flea market crops are adorable. XS was fine for me with a tad bit of room, so I'm sure it would fit a size 2 as well. I think that covers it- if you have any questions my email is kristineandmikeATgmailDOTcom. :) HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both outfits, especially the second one. That striped ruffle tank is so cute! Good luck with your skirt making, I can't wait to see what you make!

    That would be great if you could put the maryam tank on hold for me! Just let me know where/when you do! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete