Thursday, April 19, 2012

What I wear to work out...and my weekly routine

I've been on the hunt for cute workout clothes lately.  I desperately need to replace some of my clothes that I've had for a very long time (since college...way too long...I graduated in 2002).  I workout about three times a week (a variation of running, cycle, weights, Pilates, etc) and often show up at school in the morning dressed for the gym since I head there right after dropping off my kids.  Even though I'm dressed for the gym I like to try to look semi-put together and cute (as much as you can with hair pulled back and tennis shoes on). I have heard great things about lululemon and want to give them a try in the future, but I just never got around to going in and trying things on so I was hesitant to ever order anything online without knowing what size I'd be.  So I stuck to what I know works...Gap.  I really like their GapFit line and find that it almost always runs TTS for me.  

I had my eye on a few things for a while and finally when a good promo hit the web I jumped on it and decided to order a few things.  Here's what I ended up getting:

GapFit Motion seamless racerback tank (in phosphorus, purple candy and bold blue)




These tanks are awesome because they are totally figure flattering and aren't too tight, but not baggy at all.  They also do NOT have a shelf bra, which is what I prefer.  I don't have need to the double reinforcement so it just bothers me to have a shelf bra inside a tank when I'm already wearing a sports bra underneath.  I loved the bright and bold color options and the material is light and breathable.  I took these in size small and the fit was perfect. Highly recommend!



I saw this jacket in the store and was immediately drawn to it because of the cute ruching detail on the sleeved.  It makes an otherwise plain jacket totally cute!  I took this in a size small as well and it fit like a glove.
GapFit gFast gathered capris


I already own a pair of gFast workout bottoms so I knew I'd need a size small in these as well.  They are so cute on and fit perfectly.  I love the ruching detail on these also..it just adds that something extra special as the coat did above.  Love!

I can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow morning in my new gear...it makes working out a little more fun when you feel cute in what you're wearing!  I've had a few people ask about my workout routine lately so I thought I'd just answer all at once here with a sample of my weekly schedule.  I've had to change things up lately as I've been battling a hip injury.  I've had to stop running for a bit to let it heal (it's not healing very fast...grrrr) so I've recently taken up cycling to take it's place.  I take spin classes at the gym that are killers!  It must be doing the trick though because I've been able to maintain the same weight as I do when I run.  

Here's what my workout routine typically looks like these days:

Monday-
Spin (hour-long class), Abs and 15 min of weights

Tuesday-
Day off from gym--do abs at home

Wednesday-
Spin (hour-long class), Abs and 15 min of weights

Thursday-
Day off from gym--do abs at home

Friday-
Pilates (hour-long class) and Elliptical (25-30 min)

Saturday-
Depends on the day...some days we go for a hike, others I just do Abs at home.  If I miss a workout on Friday, I always make up for it on Saturday though.

Sunday-
Day off

I'm not a super over-achiever when it comes to working out, but I've learned that getting in 3 sessions of cardio a week is perfect for me.  That's always the main goal.  

So what do you like to do to stay in shape?  Do you have a routine you stick to?  Do you prefer to work out alone or in classes?  Do you have any workout gear you LOVE that I should know about?  DO tell!

Hope you have a great day!























12 comments:

  1. Well since i am prego and all I was told no more exercise (placenta issues) I can still walk but have not been too much. I kinda wanna run over the runners outside because I am so envious! My favorite workout clothes are lululemon I think they are SO worth the $$! I do have a few things from Target too because let's be honest I am not going to shoot my whole wad on workout clothes! I so look forward to getting back in shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you're a fan of lululemon...I've never heard a bad thing about them! Gonna have to go in there and try some things on one of these days. I totally know what you mean about seeing people run knowing you can't...it's so annoying! All in the name of motherhood, right?! Hope you're feeling ok!

      Delete
  2. You would die if you saw what I workout in, but since I have a home gym, I don't see anyone! I do love Lulu store though! I love working out to dvds, or taking gym classes like Turbo Kick. Right now I'm doing Beachbody's Insanity program. Its 60 days and cardio heavy. I hope to increase my cardio endurance, build more muscle and lower body fat. I lost 3.6% fat with my last Beachbody round so I'm excited for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! You're rocking it! Good luck on your 60 days!!

      Delete
  3. I love Athleta.com (anytime, no questions asked return policy), have you looked at their stuff? I also love Lucy.com (affordable and stylish). I going to be doing a review of some Athleta stuff I recently bought. Keep an eye out in the next week or so.

    http://momcatdiaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know...I'll check your blog for the reviews! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I am a fan of Athleta too, like the previous comment. I recently got a pair of capris with a built in skirt.....very cute and I like the coverage on the backside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good coverage is a plus! =) Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. You inspire me, girl. I haven't worked out for a few years and I miss it, but yet, it's hard for me to make it part of my schedule again. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working all day and then working out afterwards is a daunting task, I'm sure. The used to wake up at 5:15am to work out before heading to work when I worked full time...I could never drag myself to the gym after 5pm...way too tiring!

      Delete
  6. I second the Lucy recommendation. I wear their stuff exclusively, and I love them! And I also love spin classes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE sport tanks with the shelf bra. I always end up cutting them out. I'm gonna have to look into these gap ones. They're cute too!

    ReplyDelete